Thursday, January 3, 2008

Into the New Year

So, I should have written this on Jan. 1 I suppose but I didn't. I'm writing it today because today is when I have time... I've been thinking about this post: Should it be a list of resolutions, a list of memories from the past year, or something else? Resolutions is probably a good idea but everyone knows how that ends up and there are too many memories to write so I have concluded to list a few of the things over the past year and maybe the past several years that I am grateful for.

1. First and foremost, my family.
Our little family in Abilene over the holidays
All my family, immediate and extended. Most of you know I have a big family and Shaun has a large extended family and it makes life so much more interesting. I am glad we are all different and each bring our own piece to the puzzle that makes us who we are. I'm thankful for uncles and cousins who play with Luke. Luke has learned about horseplay this past year from cousins Landon, Logan, and uncle Michael. He's rolled down hills and climbed "mountains" with Shaun's cousins Jacob, Caleb, and Sammy. He's spent many a day and a few nights with Bebop and Omi learning all kinds of things. We've traveled to Texas to visit Nana and Papa and they have been here... Luke learned the word and proper use of a stethoscope from Papa, fed a giraffe at the Abilene zoo, painted rocks with Nana, and so on.

2. My friends: near and far.
A few of us girls in W-S (an old picture... we need to update!)
What would any of us do without good friends? I am blessed beyond measure to have childhood friends with whom I have celebrated milestones in life (such as Kellie's wedding) and to share the burden of the hard-times. And then, my friends here in W-S. They are what makes this home: girls' night out, dinner club, birthday dessert night, coffee in the morning... whatever it might be these are the ladies with whom I share my everyday life and each year just makes these friendships even richer.

3.Staying home with Luke.
Luke & Shaun playing at the park.
This one is a bit bittersweet for me because I loved my job as a counselor and yet to think I might have missed some the moments I have blogged about and many others... I can't imagine it. He is such a delightful little guy even in his more trying moments. Any sacrifice has been worth it and I am looking forward to another year of learning and growing.

I could list many more because the blessings in my life and that of my family's are abundant. There are also hardships and things I would have chosen differently if I were in charge (I know I'm not even though it's nice to pretend sometimes that I am) and yet those things are also part of the blessing - they shape us, make us better people, and hopefully keep us real.

No comments: