Monday, November 30, 2009

Thanksgiving... and Up Goes the Tree


Sidden Family Thanksgiving

As I previously mentioned, I truly enjoy Fall. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. There is no pressure, no pressing deadline must be met, good food is involved, the weather is usually great, it's still college football season, and on the list goes. I liked Thanksgiving as a kid; our home was always full of people, good food, and a lot of commotion. Thanksgiving with the Sidden clan is similar in a lot of ways. It's different as well. There are a lot more men and boys dressed in camouflage for the occasion (being prime deer-hunting season) and they have a few different traditions such as wild turkey versus the Butterball, smoked venison, and some old fashioned music. Most everyone in Shaun's extended family plays a musical instrument and when they get together and play it is truly amazing that so much talent can be in one room at the same time. I can only hope some of the Sidden gene for musicality rubs off on my boys because they won't be getting it from me. For the time being the boys love to listen and Wyatt even danced a little jig this year.


Up goes the tree & the star


Pondering his next move... break it or leave it be

Over the Thanksgiving weekend we put up the Christmas tree and spread the Christmas decorations around the house. According to my friend Barbara, this is the first Christmas miracle of the season. She knows that Christmas is not my favorite holiday (though with little ones around it is getting a bit more exciting). Maybe, its the clutter of stuff that bothers me or all the "requirements" of the season... I'm not sure I can't put a finger on it and there are things I like about Christmas: I enjoy the Christmas Eve service at St. Paul's in Abilene, I like seeing my family and old friends, seasonal treats such as gingerbread cookies and peppermint mocha and maybe a few other things. Regardless, the tree is up with a little help from the boys. Luke was thrilled with the tree and has been singing Christmas songs all day. It appears my grinchness has not rubbed off on him. Wyatt, however, broke a few Christmas decorations and seems bewildered by the giant tree in his play space.

No comments: