Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Christmas Time is Coming


Putting the star on the tree

Just hanging out

First off... I don't know how to turn off the underline feature... I don't know how it got turned on and it's a bit annoying...

Some of you may know that I don't typically go "crazy" over Christmas decorations. I like them well enough, I suppose. However, I haven't felt the need to cover my entire house with red and green things in my adult life. I do enjoy being at my parent's house when it is decorated and then heading back to my house in North Carolina without the fuss. The past few years I have not even put up a Christmas tree. We head to Texas each year for Christmas and I just didn't see the point of decorating for Shaun and myself for two weeks before we leave for the holidays. This year is different. Luke is 3 and a half and very aware of Christmas. He talks about the decorations, the lights, Santa, and "the big socks (aka stockings)." He's thrilled with every detail of Christmas he notices. He dances energetically to the singing rein-dog that plays a Christmas version of SHOUT, he is good because Santa might find out, he whispers Christmas wishes to Shaun at night, and he helped hang ornaments on the tree. The best on-going Christmas discussion at our house involves Dory the Elf. Last year, my mom gave us a book "The Elf on the Shelf". It came with a little elf sent by Christmas Magic to our house by Santa. Each day, the elf finds a new place to hide from which she can keep an eye on Luke and report back to Santa. According the story, we cannot touch the elf or she will lose her magic and she cannot talk when away from the North Pole. As you can imagine, Luke has bombarded us with a million questions regarding our elf (who he named Dory): Is she a boy or a girl? Luke concluded girl because of her name. Does she fly home to the North Pole or does Santa come pick her up each night? Can she stay with us for a long time? Will she know we've gone to Texas for Christmas or does Nana have a different elf at her house? And last but certainly not least, "What will we do without Dory?" This last question was made when he realized she was no longer in the same hiding spot from yesterday and has yet to find her today... The joy of imaginiation and a child's simple faith in fantasy is a wonderful thing. It has made putting up the tree, stockings, and other decor worthwhile. I guess that's why parents and grandparents put out the decorations year after year... in anticipation of seeing a child's eyes light up with amazement as they contemplate Christmas Magic





1 comment:

Kiera said...

I've got to remember that book. I really want to get it, too cute! I love driving by seeing your tree in the window! :) So glad Luke is loving it so much!!