Shaun getting settled in with his "bugs"
Mr. Chris explaining what a crawfish is and why they are still moving
Chowing down
Good times with good friends and good food... (Shaun, Chris, & Jeff... Ellyn, Barbara, & Bekah)
Millie and Luke enjoying good friends as well
When I was a kid we called them "crawdaddys" and we caught them with a string and a piece of bacon in the creek/run-off from the lake near our house. I had no idea then, people actually had parties solely based on the cooking and eating of these little miniature lobster-like creatures. I have since learned, they are quite a delicacy and people from Memphis and such parts of the South call them "bugs." Chris and Ellyn have included us in this annual event for the past several years and I have to say it is something to which we look forward. Though, craw-fish aren't my favorite thing I thoroughly enjoy the veggies that cook alongside them. Shaun and Jeff can eat more craw-fish than I thought possible. Of course, the good company makes for a great afternoon and the kids have a good time as well. Luke was not sure about the craw-fish. He observed the process: from putting them in the pot live to watching Shaun peel and eat them but never felt the need to partake. He was content with his PB & J and chips. Eliott and Millie on the other hand were quite brave and both tried a craw-fish or two. They are a bit more adventurous than Luke. Maybe, it's all that Vietnamese food they eat. I have to add one more picture of Millie because it's hilarious. She is such a fun girl and I love it that cupcakes make her so happy!
4 comments:
I sure am glad you love Millie. She loves ya'll too and apparently thinks Luke is good enough to eat as well! What a fun day---and lot's of great pics.
flashback! i so remember the string and bacon for the crawdaddies in lytle creek, that was so genius! what did we do with them when we caught one? i can't remember. now that i think about it... that probably grossed me out so bad that it has ruined fish for me. i still won't eat any.
Hey Becka this is Jason,
Mal told me we had a message on our blog and i just looked at her and was confused b/c I forget we (she) has a family blog for us. Funny! The family looks great. Luke is awesome....driving fast, getting into dirt, and driving faster. Sounds great, I can't wait till Malakai starts making fast car noises, although mom will be more nervous; it just gives me a good excuse to buy a two-sitter go cart.
Anyways, really cool to reconnect. Please keep in touch. I'm a little jealous of the whole N.C. thing...after YL camp I always wanted to live there.
Congrats on boy numero dos. Tell the family hello.
Jason
there were 6 at the park! Lexi had a friend that Jack Allan loved but she had no tolerance for little boys, it was funny. JA kept dripping ice cream on her because he wanted to sit by her and she was like "eww, gross"
Post a Comment